Random List of Top 10 Things You Shouldn’t Waste Money On
- Taking Shirts to the Dry Cleaner: Complete waste of money. Wash your shirts and hang them up to dry. Then iron them. That's it.
- Paying for Expensive Ties: I saw a tie at Macy's for $250. That's absurd and no one cares that you are wearing an expensive tie. Shop around, buy gently used ties, or go to Marshalls. Wearing ties are dumb to begin with, so don't do further damage by spending your retirement money on them.
- Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: The oil change companies want you to believe this must be done every 3,000 miles, but this isn't really true anymore. First, read your owner's manual and it will most likely say 5,000 or 7,500 miles between changes. I just haven't seen any modern cars break down by changing the oil every 5,000 or so miles.
- Paying for Low Auto/Home Insurance Deductibles: Unless you are an awful driver or just have the worst luck in the world, stop paying high insurance premiums by choosing low deductibles. Get the highest deductible possible to lower the cost of your insurance. Ask your parents and older relatives how many times they've used car and homeowner's insurance in their lifetimes. Add this number up and compare it to the total number of years they've been purchasing insurance. You'll see why it makes sense not to pay an insurance company any more than you have to.
- Buying Art: Unless you are fortunate enough to have a Picasso, da Vinci, or Monet hanging on the wall, stop buying art or pictures to decorate your houses. Instead, make something or take some photos and hang them. We love to travel, and I love to take pictures, and we get much more joy out of our own photos on the walls than something we'd buy in a store. Today's cameras are incredible, so have fun with them and make your own art for a fraction of the price.
- Paying for Water: In America, water is readily available and it's safe to drink. Bring a water bottle with you and stop buying water. It's just a waste of money.
- Fancy Workout Clothes: Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't need to wear fancy workout clothes to get ripped. Fancy clothes are simply not required to get a great workout, so why spend stupid amounts of money on workout clothes? You aren't going to talk to anyone at the gym anyways in today's society, so why bother trying to impress someone at the gym with your clothes? The chances of you seeing this person outside of the gym are slim to none.
- Lotto Tickets and Gambling: Lotto tickets are for the poor and you will see more trash at the casino than rich people. Think about it and take a look the next time you hit up the casino. Don't give in, just save your money instead.
- Eating Out When Not Forced To: Look, you should go out to eat from time-to-time, especially when you have to. For example, when your boss wants to go to lunch or a co-worker you haven't connected with in a while, then you should go. However, if you find yourself eating out alone because you were too lazy to make breakfast or didn't bring a lunch, then you are wasting money. Be strategic about when you go out to eat and make sure it's not alone.
- Paying for a Photographer for Family Photos: My friends keep telling me that I'm in for a rude awakening when we have children because of the costs. Then the next day on Facebook I have to sit there and look at all of the professional photos they had for their kid's first birthday, second birthday, Halloween costume, first day of school, first day they didn't pee their pants, etc. We have great cameras now, we have tripods, there are amazing cameras in phones, and we have friends...Use these tools instead of blowing your money on professional photographers. I must agree that having kids would be crazy expensive when you are spending money on professional photographers every few months.